|Message of the Week|
The Vinick camp decides to turn the tables on the Santos campaign by targeting issues of immigration - issues Santos has avoided. An eager NSA agent briefs Vinick about an assassination which Vinick shrugs off.
- Alan Alda as Senator Arnold Vinick
- Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman
- with Jimmy Smits as Matthew Santos
Special Guest StarsEdit
- Janeane Garofalo as Louise Thornton
- Patricia Richardson as Sheila Brooks
- Ron Silver as Bruno Gianelli
- Brett Cullen as Ray Sullivan
- William Russ as Dan
- Julian Acosta as Leon Montero
- Matthew Del Negro as Bram Howard
- Peter MacKenzie as George Rohr
- Chris Matthews as Himself
- Tom Everett as Charles Frost
- Gavin Glennon as Secret Service Agent
- Annie Morgan as Annie
- Becky Meister as Sally
- Sumalee Montano as Vinick Reporter #1
- Timothy Davis-Reed as Mark O'Donnell
- Ben Siegler as George
- Colette O'Connell as Ellen Trayers
- Kris Murphy as Katie Witt
- Phil Trask, Jr. as Kevin
- Micheal Earl Reid as Harley Parker
- Alicia-Lee as Senate Reporter #1
- Ken Michelman as Ted Zukoski
In this episode Bruno tells Shelia and Vinick that a senator hasn't been elected since 1960, referring to JFK. Three years after this episode was aired, in the 2008 Presidential Election Senator Barack Obama was elected to become the 44th President.
Gov. Ray Sullivan tells the pro-life representative that he always appointed pro-life judges while he was Governor of West Virginia and will have the same point of view when he becomes Vice President. But real judges in West Virginia are not appointed; they are elected.
Senator Arnold Vinick: He's what wrong with this party. Not me.... The United States Senate gets to advice and consent on judges, not the clergy.
Bruno: First one to go negative is a show of weakness.