Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Truman was thrust into power and never actually wanted to be President.
While President, Truman had a Republican Congress that opposed his every move, highly powerful special interest groups, and a critical media biased against him.
He was responsible for ending World War II with the use of atomic bombs. He decided on using them after General George Marshall told him he would lose between 150,000 to 268,000 American soldiers. Some scholars believed that the atomic bombs were a show of strength to Joseph Stalin.
He passed the Presidential Succession Act of 1947. It is said he put the Speaker of the House third in line in order to put the good of the country over politics. Others say it was because he drank bourbon with congressman Sam Rayburn.
- ↑ "Bess Truman didn't like it." from The Indians in the Lobby
- ↑ "I never wanted to be President of the United States." "Neither did Mr. Truman." from The Dogs of War
- ↑ "I have the following things to negotiate: an opposition Congress, special interests with power beyond belief, and a bitchy media." "So did Harry Truman." from The Short List
- ↑ "No. Only two Presidents have: Roosevelt and Truman." from The Two Bartlets
- ↑ "I told my granddaughter I was meeting you and I asked what question she wanted me to ask you and she said to ask you of all the presidents you've met, who is your favorite and I assured her that it would be me." "No, no. Um... Mr. Truman. He was a good man." from 20 Hours in America (Part II)
- ↑ "He's been at the State Department since Truman." from Gone Quiet
- ↑ "Truman called it the crown-jewel of the federal penal system." from The Dogs of War
- ↑ "Well there's some evidence to suggest that Marshall told Truman that and some estimates say 150,000. Some say 268,000." from The Women of Qumar
- ↑ "That's one argument. The other is that after Potsdam Truman wanted Stalin to know we had the bomb and we were willing to use it." from The Warfare of Genghis Khan
- ↑ "The Presidential Succession Act of 1947 did. And I'm not prepared to think about politics while we're under terrorist attack. The Republic comes first. That's why Truman wanted the Speaker third in line." "Truman wanted the Speaker third in line because he used to drink bourbon with Sam Rayburn." from 7A WF 83429
- ↑ "Truman did it in '52 with the coalmine." from The State Dinner
- ↑ "A lot of people say this is a President who, more than anyone since Truman maybe, run his own campaign." from Process Stories
- ↑ "They had me on the Truman balcony for 6 minutes in my underwear." from The Leadership Breakfast
- ↑ "It was a 24-ton Type B light cask holding spent fuel rods from the nuclear carrier Truman." from Stirred
- ↑ "I wanted to bring that book for the Governor..." "The Truman biography?" from The War At Home
- ↑ "If Truman were alive today, he'd be a Republican." from The Dogs of War