1974 is a year on the Gregorian calendar.
- The Campaign Reform Act is passed, a major step in campaign finance reform.
- India sets off a peaceful nuclear explosion. Indira Gandhi states that it was merely a show of capability, not of force.
- The Privacy Act is passed this year. This prevents officials from the White House from releasing information on citizens without their consent.
- ↑ "Soft money contributions render the 1974 Campaign Reform Act toothless." from Let Bartlet Be Bartlet
- ↑ "In 1974 India set off a peaceful nuclear explosion. Indira Gandhi herself said they had no intention of building a bomb, they just wanted to know that they could." from The Lame Duck Congress
- ↑ "I think the citizens of Dallas will understand that the 1974 Privacy Act precludes me from discussing those details until the family gives its consent." from On the Day Before